Sunday, August 26, 2012

SUMMER VEGGIE SAUTé

There's something to be said about eating locally and in season. 

Imagine what a difference it would make if we didn't demand that we have anything we hunger for available to us at all times. It could be a big carbon footprint change. Of course if I practiced that I'd never eat a cantaloupe again because it just doesn't grow here.


That said, here's my recent local delight. 

I have a fondness for fresh baby Zucchini and Patty Pan Squash- I like them fresh and raw, but even better, I like them sauteed with a bit of olive oil and butter- and my secret ingredients- pumpkin seeds and pumpkin oil.




I roast the pumpkin seeds with a little sea salt just to give them a little punch. They plump up but are still crunchy.


I find if you cut them in thicker bite sized pieces they don't get soggy and have a bit of a crunch to them...so good. 


I just pop them all in a pan with some olive oil and butter, just until brown on both sides- then toss them with the roasted pumpkin seeds.  It is a great accompaniment for just about anything- I love it with a grilled flank steak, but it goes really well with grilled chicken or salmon. I've even served it over couscous or quinoa as a vegetarian dish.

Watch this space for more culinary muse.



No comments:

Post a Comment